Suda51 / Grashopper Manufacture

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BakaMattSu, Mar 28, 2013.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Any other fans of this quirky studio? They don't put out anything of a blockbuster nature, but their games just ooze with crafted personal touches and love.

I've only latched onto them this generation, but No More Heroes, Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadows of the Damned have all been flawed-but-brilliant works. I've finished playthroughs of the first two, with Shadows currently underway.

Everything from art direction to story and the just plain ridiculous and often over the top designs and situations are a treat and if you haven't given any of them a try, I recommend it, especially if you're a fan of oddities.

2. Thomas Geraghty

Thomas Geraghty New Member

I am a massive fan, own almost everything they've ever done. Looking forward to Killer is Dead, looks amazing!

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Heh, tell me about it. I usually maintain media blackout on their stuff and Killer is Dead is no exception. But this is one of the few studios I will blind buy day one from here on out, the faith level being as high as it is.

Has Killer7 aged well? I never gave it a try, but I do still have a working PS2 and/or could try giving it a run through it emulated filters on PC.

I haven't checked out anything else with their name attached as the others seem to be joint ventures and I fear some of their influence would be watered down as a result. Any comparisons that can be drawn of the PSN/Arcade titles to their other works?

Would love a port of NMH2 as I don't have a Wii. (Played the PS3 port of the first)

4. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

I haven't had a console since I donated my first gen PS/Xbox to a hackerspace, but maybe it's time to get one again (if not for me, for the kids!). Killer is Dead might not be for them (probably Skylanders), but what console would you get?

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

What's the age range of your kids and what sort of things are they interested in? As awesome as the Suda51 titles are, I unfortunately couldn't recommend any of them to the younger crowd - they all have suggestive themes, language and some degree of partial or full nudity.

The Wii, though still a standard definition device, would still be my top choice for the younger crowd. The non-conventional controller is a plus as the titles that use it to its fullest potential will keep them moving around and can be easier to pick up. And Nintendo has always had the strongest in house first-party releases for general audiences.

Then, if it is down to XBox 360 versus PlayStation 3, both have enough of a catalogue this late in the generation that you could go with either and probably come up with a good selection.

I would check out a few youtubes or review videos of some titles and then side with whichever fits within your budget or has more of the interesting titles.

Here are some suggestions, assuming a younger audience of things I've enjoyed this gen.

For Wii, I'd check out vids of:
    New Super Mario Bros Wii
    Punch Out!!
    MarioKart Wii
    Animal Crossing: City Folk
    Wii Sports

For Xbox360:
    Portal
    Viva Pinata

For PS3:
    LittleBigPlanet
    Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (I know you were recently showing them some Studio Ghibli stuff and this is a nice light-hearted Ghibli involved game)

On multiple systems:
    Any of the LEGO games (there are all sorts of flavors to this, so you can pick an IP they're interested in from Star Wars to Harry Potter to Lord of the Rings to Batman)
    Costume Quest