Computers Tweaking the bejeezus out of your PC ;)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by SaberJ2X, Apr 9, 2004.

1. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

here are some simple tweaks you can do so your PC runs a lil bit happier

let's get to tweaking

I'll just post the program you'll need to tweak for PC without having to go under the hood and do it yourself.

Allin one program do most of the stuff I say here
    http://www.driverheaven.net/dforce/
    www.totalidea.com

:Tweaking the Hard Disk Performance and system memory:
    -Windows9x-
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/cb.htm
    Just use this as describe.. you can't mess it up, it has presetted configurations, just use the one closer to your needs
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htm
    this one is for the ram :)

-Windows2K/XP-
    http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_charisma_page=product&id=7
    It does both things with the same program :)

:General system tweaks:
    -windows9x-
    from what I remember having the biggest boosts in Windows98 was go to Coontrol Panel and open up system.
    in the first tab change the setting from desktop to a SERVER
    in the last tab select to configure manually you system swap file in the minimum put it to 150% of your installed RAM and for maximum whatever number you want optimally 300% your total installed ram.

-Windows2000-
    you don't need to do almost nothing or... nothing!

-windowsXP-
    http://www.driverheaven.net/dforce/

:Tweaking you Internet :
    -ALL WINDOWS-
    www.cablenut.com
    download the primary program.. and the update.. which has even more configurations and more up to date settings for a faster connection...

:Tweaking the Graphics Card:
    if you have nVIDIA's or ATI's cards you NEED THIS
    it'll give you the low down on tweaking your graphics card...
    !!!!!!!PLEASE DON'T OVERCLOCK IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT IT IS!!!!!!
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

if i forgot anything or you want me to check out some stuff etc etc etc
    please post it here

1 person likes this.
  2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Here's a few small tweaks, most important first.

If you have 20 programs in your system tray, clean some of them out LOL. Avoid spyware and use Adaware or Spybot Search and Destroy.

Don't use XP styles (no Luna). Choose windows classic style instead of windows XP style.

Don't use wallpaper.

This post doesn't really count as tweaking, but if you are going to do the stuff saberJ2X suggested, you will likely want to do this as well.

Nice links sj2x :)

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Don't forget the UI!

For you windows tweakers, you have plenty of UI options with the progs available here:
    http://www.systemsmedic.com/TweakUI.htm

Take out the delays in menu navigation, remove the loading screen, whatever you feel like tweaking...

More Win9x tweaks:
    -enable DMA on all your drives that support it.
    -optimize your System Registry (link pending until I remember where I put it)

GFX Cards
    -In your BIOS, kick up your Video Aperture Setting to twice the RAM on your video card.

4. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

not necesarrily 100% correct...
    put to HALF your total system RAM to be safe
    or just set it too 128MB.
    but...
    my 5600 ran faster with 64MB aperture, and my 5900 ran better with 256MB...
    so it depends on the card

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

if you guys need to do some BIOS flashing, http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm you can find here DOS boot CD images and floppy images :)
    if I need to expand in the flashing part please do so

6. Nephiel

Nephiel New Member

Well, if you have more than one hard drive and Windows 2K/XP, you can do this tweak too. But it only works if you have different physical hard disks, don't do it in 2 partitions on the same drive because it will make the system slower (the disk heads would have to go continuously from one partition to the other and back).

Go to system properties -> advanced options -> use of memory -> advanced options, then set BOTH the pagefile maximum and minimum size to 2.5 times the amount of RAM you have, and place it in the secondary hard drive (the one that doesn't have Windows installed). The idea is to use the secondary hard disk the least possible, just once in a while to do backups, and have the system and data on the primary one. This way we have a drive almost exclusively for a static pagefile, so the hard drive with Windows in it doesn't have to do that work; and it speeds the system a bit when you work with large files and P2P programs.

Don't forget to defrag all your hard disks (preferably with some third party utility; Norton Systemworks works well for me). It's better if you have the hard disk drives in separate IDE channels (I.E. primary master and secondary master). Just put the pagefile in the most used partition of the least used hard drive.

-----------------------------

I'd recommend another little utility too for Windows, called CPUIdle (use google to find it). This utility runs on the background consuming nearly no resources at all. What does it do? Simple: it lowers the temperature of your processor.

Simply put, with Windows whenever your processor is idle (95% of the time on your average PC) it still is on, and it still consumes power and generates heat. With CPUIdle, processor power is turned off during that time.

When the processor is not receiving any instruction (that is, 95% of the time your PC is on), CPUIdle puts it to sleep (sends a "halt", HLT instruction), turning off the power to the processor until a new instruction arrives (I think Linux does this by default).

Nearly all processors have this feature. The computer and everything stays on; you don't notice anything but your CPU temperature dropping 10 ÂșC or more (and the CPUIdle process in task list instead of that silly inactive system process taking 99% of CPU time).

Perfect for hot summers, or simply when you leave your PC downloading 24/7.

And no, I'm not being paid for writing this ;) I just use it and find it useful.

Edit: I forgot to mention this URL. It has a list of all Windows XP services, and explains what they do and which ones can be safely turned off to free system resources.

7. SteamedRice

SteamedRice New Member

Network and Internet Connections

Internet Options:

Delete Cookies, Delete Files, Clear History.. I do a maintenance check-up once in a while concerning what I mentioned. Makes my 56K a little bit faster.. well it seems like it :rolleyes:
    ----------
    I do clean up my hard drive as well.. delete programs that I barely use or just the ones that are completely useless.. It becomes a process whenever I restart my system.

8. jakery

jakery New Member

do somebody can work it??

9. jakery

jakery New Member

e

you can do it better

10. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

this thread is so old and obsolete is not even funny :)
    will make a proper update one of this days

11. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

I've since changed from PC to Mac (made the switch in May 2010) - are you still PC-bound SJ2X?

12. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I went to mac and back lol I couldn't stand the "on-rails" experience in it...